Sonny's Steaks

Sonny’s, a small shop in Old City Philadelphia, isn’t one of the better-known cheesesteak places. The wall isn’t lined with press photos of celebrities who have eaten there. But they do serve excellent steaks. Unlike most of other steak shops in the area, which purchase their steak pre-sliced, Sonny’s uses freshly sliced ribeye for their cheesesteaks (check it out, the slicer is right on the counter). Sonny’s also slices their steak a little thicker than other places, and serves their steaks on a soft, chewy roll.

Jeff’s Take:
There are several reasons why Sonny’s is my current pick for best cheesesteak in the Delaware Valley. First off, their quality is more consistent than most other places. With a lot of the better-known cheesesteak places, it’s either hit or miss, and this gets frustrating. Second, I like that Sonny’s has thicker sliced meat—a lot of other places finely chop their meat, which occasionally results in a dry steak. Also, I prefer cheese whiz on my steak, and Sonny’s applies it well, so it mixes perfectly with the grease (you’d be surprised how often steak shops mess this up).






Mike’s Take:
I differ from Jeff, in that I prefer the shredded and finer steak on my cheesesteak. Much like deli meats, it's all in the surface area, so for me thinly sliced steak is the way to go. That being said, Sonny's does offer an excellent cheesesteak. The cheese whiz is applied liberally to the definite benefit of the sandwich. I also have to mention that their french fries were surprisingly good. The fries were served fresh out of the frier and were crispy on the outside without losing the moisture and taste of the potato on the inside. Sadly, I got my steak and fries to go, which is a shame since the fries would have been orgasmic had I added some vinegar to them.



228 Market St.
Philadelphia
, PA 19106

(215) 629-5760
www.sonnysfamoussteaks.com

Comments

Thistlemoon said…
I love cheesesteaks. I grew up in Delaware as a little girl and I have fond memories of them. Especially the hot pepper relish! Thanks for sharing!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

Popular posts from this blog

Beau Monde Creperie

Taqueria Moroleon

Food Country: About Us