Koch's Deli

Jeff's Take:
“Come on guys, finish this off.” The employee behind the counter didn’t have to ask me twice to clean the plate of honey smoked turkey he was offering as a free sample. And before I even got my order, it was no mystery to me why Koch’s Deli in West Philadelphia is almost a landmark around here. This place has got charm. With a little sleight of hand (read: free food), Koch’s turned a ridiculously long, crowded wait for a sandwich into a memorable experience. During my wait, I sampled two kinds of turkey, some Swiss cheese, and a few pickle spears. Koch’s is not only known for its free samples, but also its creative specialty hoagies and sandwiches and its generous portions of meat.

If you like pastrami, the Reuben here is a can’t miss. My mouth watered as I watched my chopped pastrami crisped in the toaster oven, and then was topped with Swiss cheese and cooked again until it bubbled. With the meat piled high and topped with sauerkraut and thousand island dressing and served on fresh and lightly toasted rye bread, this is an excellent Reuben.


I also tried The Drexel (named after the nearby University), which included corned beef, spiced beef, turkey breast, provolone, cole slaw and Russian dressing, served on a hoagie roll. Kudos to Koch’s for putting so many meats on one sandwich. Unfortunately, this one wasn’t anything special. The deli meats here are above average, but in the end, it’s still deli meat, and that just can’t stand up to the fresh corned beef or turkey you can find elsewhere. Nonetheless, for its generous portions and generous free samples, Koch’s is a decent deli option.










Koch's Deli
4309 Locust St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104
(215) 222-8662

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beau Monde Creperie

Taqueria Moroleon

Dome Restaurant and Bar